May 8, 2012

i was made for this

Sometimes I can't even believe how much I was made for this, 
                                      to be a momma.

I mean seriously there is not a single job in this world that fits me better or brings me this much joy. And when I think about the importance of this job of mine I realize the depth and severity of it all. As a Christian the task of raising a child inherits additional meaning and another title: "discipleship".

I am in no way a teacher, but I hope to live my life with purpose by exemplifying how to follow Jesus to my children. So I will teach regardless of my weakness.

"Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is One! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
-Deuteronomy 6:4-9

May Your words always be present on our hearts, in our minds, on our tongues and in our home.

And for the first time in my life, (minus a mission trip halfway across the world), I feel like I'm actively doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

"O mothers of young children, I bow before you in reverence. Your work is most holy. You are fashioning the destinies of immortal souls. The powers folded up in the little ones that you hushed to sleep in your bosoms last night are powers that shall exist forever. You are preparing them for their immortal destiny and influence. Be faithful. Take up your sacred burden reverently. Be sure that your heart is pure and that your life is sweet and clean. The Persian apologue says that the lump of clay was fragrant because it had lain on a rose. Let your life be as the rose, then your child as it lies upon your bosom will absorb the fragrance. If there is no sweetness in the rose the clay will not be perfumed."
-J.R. Miller, The Family

3 comments:

  1. Great post! What an important and rewarding job you have! So encouraged to see Ry's parents striving for the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a momma is the most tiring, yet rewarding job on the planet. Every second we wish we were sleeping, is made up for in laughter, in finger paints, in boogers, in dancing, and kisses. We are so lucky to be able to share our lives with such beautiful people and help raise them to be the beautiful people God intended them to be. I just wrote my first letter to my daughter on my blog today. Children are such a gift.

    <3 http://dlezr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete